Index | Previous | Next



Hugh de Knelle, sons William and John - belonging to Knelle manor

William Kneller unjustly and against the peace made an assault on Hugh de Knelle and drew blood of him, so that his wife justly raised hue upon him (Publicat. SSX Rec. Soc.). Hugh and Edmund had brewed beer which was forbidden.

1387 Pardon to William, son of Hugh de Knelle, of his outlawry for not appearing in the King's Bench to answer William de Echingham, kt., in a plea of trespass, he having surrendered to the Marshalsea prison, as is certified by Walter Clopton, Chief Justice (CPR). William atte Helde of Redyng, co. Kent, for not appearing to answer William Fitz Hugh of Knelle touching a debt of 40s. Sussex (CPR Index, 1399). - About 1400 Richard Browny, tithing man, presents the default of William de Knelle of 2d. Hugh owed 4d. They had brewed beer against the law and thus were in mercy (GBS).

John the son and heir of Hugh Knelle of Beckley owed 23 marks to William Fader of London.The inquisition of 6 Feb. 1384 shows that he had small possessions only, including his sword, which were seized into the King's hands. His wife Juliana was involved as well, and they were an amerced of 3d (TNA C 131/31/13). 1384 - Johannes, son and heir of Hugh Knelle of the parish of Beckley. - A messuage and land in Beckley and evaluation of his goods (CIPM). - 1388, Feb. 8 - John Knellere atte Horspond for not appearing to answer William de Echingham, kt. for a trespass, has surrendered to Marshalsea prison (CPR). - There is a place called Horspond next to Knelle manor. As per CIPM V. 4, p. 459 he had a messuage and land at Beckley and his goods were evaluated in 1384.

In 1428 there were tenants of the heirs of Edmund atte Knelle, whereby a quarter of the knight's fee was held in demesne by the heirs and the rest by the tenants. Under the tenants were Johannes Clopton (Feudal Aids) and Johannes Elys - The lord at that time was Hamon de Belknap, son of Robert Belknap and Juliane. - Under the land holders in East Sussex appears the name of KNELLER (Battle Abbey CH.). (see tenants of Knelle manor under Margaret de Knelle, her husband and son William de Welles).


William de Nol was dead in 1220. Brother of Stephen de Knelle?

Land which was of William de Nol, a messuage which Ralph de Maxfeld then held, a croft lying near the house of the mother of Adam (de Haye) etc. - Witnesses: William de Echingham, Michael de Beche and others. Robert, Ralph and Adam de Hay as well as Robert Foster had given their share of the manor and Lordship of Maxfeld to Battle Abbey, confirmed by Geoffrey de St. Leger, who held that fee of the Count of Eu (Battle Abbey CH). These donations were confirmed  by Geoffrey de St. Leger, the overlord, who died shortly before 1225 (VCH). - Possibly William lived at the same time as Alfred, as one of the Haye brothers was dead in 1220.

Alured or Alfred de Cnelle or Knelle brother of Geoffrey de Cnelle of Knelle?

From Battle Abbey charters: Alured de Cnelle is witness to a charter of Nicholas Haringod, Lord of Icklesham, married to Sybilla, daughter of Ralph de Icklesham (d. 1204), of land to Battle Abbey. As Alfred de Knelle, he further witnesses a charter of Sibilla to Robert de Bocholt, of a virgate of land in Codinglea. Other witnesses were John de Peplesham and William de Sumeri. Nicholas de Harengod, Lord of Icklesham, confirms a grant made by Ralph, his father in law, of lands in Efflesham and Hocherenoche, witnessed by Alured de Knelle and.others. The charters give an approximate date between 1210-1220 by comparison to other charters of Battle abbey and persons mentioned therein. - Nicholas and Sybilla were married before 1211 (VCH). - Alured held land of Sibille and Nicholas in Maxfield. - Robert de St. Leger had held 1 hide and a half in Bexhill in 1086 . His descendant Thomas had 4 military fees in Fairlight, Pett, Bexhill and Icklesham in 1166.

Alured was present in Hampshire when William de Knappwell, bailiff of the earl of Winchester Saher de Quency, ordered two tenants of the earl, Stephen and Philip, to prepare Maud, daughter of the deceased Geoffrey de Bernevill (Berneval or Barneville?), another deceased tenant of the earl, for the journey to Jerusalem (CCR 1199-1220.) - Alvredus de Knelle was known as the "Frenchman" ( - 1220 Nicholas Harengot appoints Alvred de Knell' against William de Girund' in an assize of mort d'ancestor (CRR), and Sibilla, wife of Nicholas, appoints Alvred de Cnell' against Vincence de Rye regarding a plea of land. The overlord of Icklesham was the St. Leger family of Fairlight, of which the Ickelsham family descended. Sibille's great grand father was Elias de St. Leger, who held Ickelsham (St. Leger genealogy).  In 1180 Emma de Kenapville had to pay to the Norman Exchequer for her land in Kenapville.

1220-1 Margaret de Quency countess of Winchester grants to the Priory of Luffield in Buckinghamshire freedom from toll in her town of Brackley where she mentions her late husband Saher de Quency, other family members and her seneschal William de Knappwell who is also a witness to the charter. It seems that the earl had been to crusade (1217-1221) in the Holy land and had died there in 1219 (Luffield Priory CH, Buck. Soc.). Margaret was daughter of Robert earl of Leicester who died in 1290 on his way to the Holy land during King Richard´s crusade and of Petronilla daughter of Hugh de Grantmesnil.. The next earl was Robert de Beaumont who was married to Loretta de Braose daughter of William who died in 1204 when King Philip of France took their holdings in Normandy away. Her sister Amice received the castle of St. Leger from him as she was married to Hugh de Monfort-sur-Risle under the condition to hand over the family holdings in Breteuil and elsewhere in Normandy and making sure that Margaret would not put in any claims.

 Geffrey de Knol

Feoffment in pure and perpetual alms, of a tenement near Graffherst in the parish of Guestling, held of the fee of Maxfeld. - Release and quitclaim to Battle Abbey respecting a tenement in the fee of Maxfeld (Battle Abbey CH, ca. 1240-60). This seems to be a descendant of Alfred or William de Knol.


In 1148 the greater part, 4 knight's fees of Bexhill parish, including Icklesham, had been returned to Hilary, Bishop of Chichester, by John Count of Eu and were confirmed by King Stephen. In 1166 at the survey the count writes to the King that he had 4 knight's fees less than his father, because they were in the hands of the Bishop (Cartae to the King).

John le Nol

is mentioned in a contest between William Haringaud, and others who put in their claim to an agreement between Margery de Northeye and Matthew de Hastings regarding the manors of Northeye and Buckolt near Bexhill in 1276 (SSX FF). Matthew de Hastings died in 1277. - Northeye and Buckolt had been held c. 1100 by Ingeram de Northeye or Bechenridere of the Balliol family. Ingeram was fourth son of William count of EU, who died between 1096 and 1100, and therefore brother of Henry I count of EU (d. 1143). - John de Nol may be a descendant of Alured as William de Heringod is a descendant of Nicholas de Heringod and Sibilla de Ickelsham.

Johann' de Knolle in 1296 pays 3 s 1 1/2 d in Bexhill (SSX Subsidies).

William of Knelle

Customals of Battle Abbey: Tenements acquired of the fee of the manor of Bexhill: William de Knelle holds 2acres in Aldewithe and owes 4s yearly . - William atte Knelle has a messuage and 5 acres of land in Mellefeld and owes 10s, payable at 4 terms, attendance at the Hundred Court every 3 weeks, relief and heriot at the manor of Barnham, in the hands of Battle Abbey (cartulary), where he appears as atte Knylele in 1307 (Middle Engl. Dict.).  He may be the same as the one of 1301.

Extent of the Manor of Barnhorn 1307: VCH Sussex, Hastings Rape, Bexhill - the manor of Barnhorn which had been held by the Northeye family. - Ingelram de Northeye (and Wilton by Hastings) with the consent of Wideland de Balliol sold 3 wists or virgates there to Battle abbey in the early 12th C. - Other small properties were acquired by the abbey in Barnhorn which had been constitued a manor before 1273. n 1307 the manor consisted of a capital messuage and garden, a dovecot, a windmill, 12 acres of wood, 13 acres of meadow and 444 acres of arable land, of which 167 acres were saltmarsh. Note: Ingelram was a brother of count Henry of EU I (Dawson).

Richard de Knolle  in 1346 witnesses a charter of Alicia de Finbourne, a feoffment to John atte Hoke, son of Reginald de Hoke, of a messuage etc. in Sideleghe (Sideley), in the Parish of Bexle, Bexhil (Cart. of Battle Abbey).

Robert Kneller of Bexhill had land called Weners in Catsfield 1434 (ASH/4501/64). On 8 September 1456  Godard Pulham conveyes by charter with warranty to Thomas Thunder and George Oxenbregge, their heirs and assigns, the manor of Coding with a tenement called Wynderes, Godard had been enfeoffed by Joan de Batesford-Brenchesle and Richard Wakehurst. One of the witnesses is Robert Kneller (CCR). -  John Kneller on 1 Jan  1447 witnessed a grant of John Wellis of Hoo (ASH/4501/85)

East Sussex Record Office - DUN 16/2 Grant dd 13 Apr 1448
(Deeds of Sanders and Highwood at Barnhorne in Bexhill)  - Robert Pralle of Ewhurst to John Knellere of Hoo. Wtitness Robert Knellere. - John witnessed a grant by John Wellis of Hoo in 1447 (Ashburnham docs). - 20 Apr 1448 - Quitclaim to John Knellere  of Hoo 16/3 - 13 Apr. 1448 at Bexhill  - Witnesses: Robert Knellere, John Wellys (DUN 16/2 & 4). - In the Ashburnham charters John Kneller(e), Knellers, Knelere, father and son, witness deeds concerning lands in HOO between 1443 and 1474 .

1462, Feb. 1 Feoffment by John Worsham to John Kneller and John Giles, all of Bexle (Bexhill), of the lands and tenements within the parish of Bexle. - 24 April 1463 Quitclaim, wtn. John Kneller (the elder), Richard Ingram and others. - 9 Oct. 1471 - John Giles of Bexle, feoffment to Matilda, relict of John Werstlysham, late of Bexle, of all lands and tenements in the Parish of Bexle which were John Kneller's, now deceased. - 1462 - 1469 John Knelle witnesses several grants of land (Ashburnham documents). - 1471, Oct. 9, Lands and tenements in the parish of Bexhill, which were John Kneller's now deceased (Battle Abbey Charters). - 1479, April 5 John Giles enfeoffs Joan and Petronilla Worsham, daughters of Simon Worsham, deceased of all the lands, rents and services, in the parish of Bexle, late held by him of the feoffment of the said Simon Worsham and John K n e l i e r, deceased.

Thomas Knolles and others get enfeoffed in a piece of land called Wellondes in Westham, ca. 12 km west of Bexhill on  28 May 1421 (Battle Abbey CH). - In 1694 a John Knellers is still recorded in Westham 10 km West of Bexhill..

Adam de Knolle or Knell

pays 4s 7 3/4d in Fairlight and Pette near Guestling in 1296. (Alured de St. Martin had held land there in the 12th C of which he gave a part to Robertsbridge Abbey). - Adam is the progenitor of the Surrey line. He died shortly before 1325 seated at Lingfield in Surrey. He had the sons Richard and Henry (See below).

William de Knell  paid subsidies in Pette in 1296. Icklesham, Guestling, Fairlight and Pett are situated next to each other. It seems that Adam and William were brothers and the fees were of th St. Leger family.

Johannes Knolle was a member of Parliament for Hastings in 1372. In 1375 John Knolle was seated at Fairlight and was a baron of the Cinque Ports, whose seal still exists (SAC V.17, SB and SAC 7). In 1374 he witnessed a grant by Henry Brette of Hastings (The Manuscripts of the Corporation of Hastings).

Conclusion: Properties in Bexhill, Ore, Guestling and Pett formed part of Alured de St. Martin's fees mentioned in the confirmation charter of Ralph Count of EU to Robertsbridge Abbey. Alured de St. Martin and Alured de Cnelle and two or three other Alured's, all connected with Alured de St. Martin, are the only Alureds I have been able to find in eastern Sussex at that period of time. That Alured de Cnelle is called the Frenchman, may be an indication of a connection of the Knelle famiy to Normandy.

East Sussex

Roger de Kenlee or Kenele and Joan his wife, in 1326 were granted 30 acres of land in Ewekene  by William Whythard. In 1342  Roger de Kenele had granted to Thomas, son of Robert Bonat, and Alice his wife, all his lands and tenements in the parish of Euwekene (This place seems to have been situated near Ore, and that it  lay in Sussex is confirmed by Bodleian CH 83A. - A family of Ewkene existed at that time. An inspeximus and confirmation of the grant in frankalmoin to Battle Abbey by Alice Countess of EU of the land in Echene with the way to the meadow of Bodiham, which they have of the gift of Stephen de Borne, to Battle Abbey 1219-46. A family of Echene appears in the charters of Robertsbridge Abbey. It has to be pointed out that Edmund de Knelle of Knelle in one document was called Edmund de Kenele and Joan his wife in 1335.

Knell of Hoo

In 1450 John de Wellys, Thomas de Brooke, John Brooke, John Knelles and others of the Hundred of Hoo took part in the rising of Cade (SAC V. 18). - On 12 Feb. 1456 John Knellere is witness to a grant of John Morys of Hoo to John Ropere of Warbleton (ASH/4501/101). - 1499 ASH/4501/139 - Grant by Stephen Nelle to Thomas Crouche and Margaret his wife of land and buldings in Crepe in the parishes of Battle and Penhurst Penhurst had been one of the fees of the Bodiham families). - In 1536 Edward Lewknor of Southampton, son and heir of Thomas Lewknor, late of Broadwater, granted to John Elfred a croft of land called Tarinarsknelle lying between Hoo and  Battle.1490 ASH/4501/134 - John Knellere appointed attorney to give seisin to a grant of John Bokelon to William Estone and John his son in Hoo. - 1574 - John Elvered of Hoo, yeoman, to Richard Weller and George Weller of Hoo, grant of lands late of William Kneller etc. (ASH/4501/370). - The de la Knell family of Knell House had held land of Broadwater about 1200.

Between Rye and Udimore existed a Knell or Nell Stone Wood and a piece of land called Russells adjacent to the wood (RYE/132/22). There is also a foto of Knellstone house of the 15th C. The abbey of Fécamp held land between Rye and Udimore in 1086. Thus a Knell family may have resided there much earlier. Udimore was ceded by the abbey to the Echingham family at some moment.

Johannes or John de Knelle

Epistole Johannis Peckham 29 and 31 March 1284, pp 699 + 702
29 March 1284 - John Knelle, a clerk at Guildford in Surrey, complains to the bishop of Durham of the unlawful dues asked from his tenants by the officers of Newcastle.
To the Bishop of Winchester from the Bishop of Chichester - where is stipulated that John was consecrated by him and belonged to Lewes. - Inquiry about John's execution in Guildford, where he had been held in prison by secular entities and condemned to death against the law. - He may belong to the family of de la Cnelle of Tarring and Pagham. See below.

31 March 1284
To the Bishop of Chichester from the Bishop of Winchester.
Excomunication of those guilty of Johannes de Knelle’s death, referring to the Statutes of Westminster, Cap. II, passed in 1275, whereby the church received the right, to judge all crimes of religious persons by herself, (Statutes of the Realm, Vol I. P. 22).


This manor is not mentioned in Domesday book, but there are three entries for land in Goring, one of which is of 2 hides, which lay in the rape of Bramber (Braose). Knell and Field Place are situated next to each other so that I believe that they occupied those two hides. The editor of Cartwright and the author of the 'Western Division of Sussex', and Dallaway thought that the families of de la Knelle and de la Felde, were of the same stock. Knell mansion was later held of Broadwater under the Savage family of the Honour of Bramber and the Braose's. - There seems to have been a church or monastery at Tarring in the time of Offa, King of Mercia, and there were some remains of it in a free chapel which continued there till 1282 (GBS-Coast of Sussex). - In Tarring existed the Knell chapel, in later centuries called Knyll chapel probably a rebuilt of Offa's. In 1360 the incumbent was Rjichard atte Knelle. The advowson of the chantry descended in the 14th and 15th C. with the manors of Field and Knell in Goring. Tarring belonged to the archbishop of Canterbury, but William de Braose held four hides in that manor.

The Knell family held also land in Pagham Hundred of the Archbishop of Canterbury (his holdings 1086 DB). Climping was held in 1086 by Roger de Montgomery, who divided the land at his wife's death between the abbeys of Almeneche near Alencon and Sées Abbey in Normandy, the latters land developped later into Atherington, where one branch of the Knell family held also land, as well as in Durrington of the Braose fief of Broadwater, and in Upper Beeding of the Abbey of Fécamp. - In ca. 1568 Edward Cooke had died seised of the manors of Field and Knell and holding land in Knell, Clapham, Durrington, Tarring, Goring, Lancing and Sompting (CIPM). In almost all the places the Knell family had held land. In 1479 there was a grant of arable land of Cote in Tarring Parish by Thomas at Knylle and John Penyale to John Selkedene of Ferring (Cap/I/15/23). Therefore members of side lines must have survived.

The family of de la Felde founded a chapel in Heene before 1282. Cartwright says that in 1313 William atte Field and Agnes his wife, granted to Walter Peckham, nephew of the archbishop and rector of Tarring, the presentation to the chantry there. Possibly, Agnes was a Knell. In 1291 Godfrey the Butler sold to John de la Field and Dionesia his wife, a messuage and 4 acres and a half of meadow, 7 acres and a half of pasture in Durrington and Goring (Cartwright). A genealogy of the Waleys family showes that Sir Richard Walleys was married to Dyonise, heiress of the lord of Glynde about 1300, maybe the same person. As per Farrer's Knights of Edw. I Sir Richard had to serve at war during 1296 - 1301. He mentions Glynde, where also a Knell-Knoll family existed  (See Petronilla).

In the Subsidy Roll of 1411-12 Robert Publowe and John Tauk held land in the manors of Sullyngton, Felde and Knolle for use of the earl of Arundel. Some members of the de la Felde family held also land in East Sussex, even in Hastings Rape. On 20 June 1423 the earl of Arundel granted to John de Bohun, knight of Sussex, Nicolas Carew and others the manors of Heen, Felde and Knelle and others, land in Lychpole and Sompting etc.- Sometimes Field and Knelle was called Field Place, and there was another Field Place in Warham, where in the 13th C. a Knoll held land.

Hemeric de Cnelle, in 1164 was negotiating for Henry de Sully, abbot of Fécamp abbey, in a dispute with John de Tregoz of Goring castle, neighbour of La Knelle, regarding land and wood in the area of Steyning in West Sussex. When this dispute was renewed in 1195 after the abbot's and John de Tregoz's death, their successors, abbot Ralph de Argenciis and John son of John de Tregoz, Philip de Cnelle, as retainer of the abbot, witnessed the new covenant with Michael, a monk Hugh de Argenciis, and many others. - 1128 a Haimericus and a Johannes Cell' had witnessed for the abbot of Fécamp, who sues Robert earl of Gloucester (Docs. FR). - William (de Albini) earl of Sussex's charter giving alms to the church of St. Sauveur, is witnessed by Hemercio my brother, earl Robert, Robert de Tregoz and others (after 1176, Cal. Docs FR). - Upper Beeding belonged partly to the abbey and partly to the Braose's. There was a Knell field, which was supposedly held by the de la Knelle family as tenants of the abbey. The abbey held also the manors of Sompting, Warminghurst,and Steyning, partly with William de Braose, whereas West Tarring was territory of the archbishop of Canterbury.

Henry, abbot of Fécamp (1139-89,) was Henry de Sully, son of William de Champagne, who was eldest brother of King Stephen, Henry bishop of Winchester and Theobald Count of Blois. Henry's brother Raoul was abbot of Cluny 1173-6. Henry de Sully had also two sisters. Elizabeth was abbess of Caen, the abbey founded by Mathilde, wife of William the Conqueror. Margaret was wife of Henry I Count of EU (d. 1139). One can imagine the power exerted by this family. 

1193 Herbert de la Cnolle of Sussex appears in the Middle English Dictionary.

Philip de Cnolle mentioned above pays half a mark and owes 20d for an assize against Walter (1189-90 SSX PR). - 1214 Marie, widow of Roger, sues William d'Acre and Philip de Cnolle for dower (CRR). - Philippus de Cnell' is mentioned also in Suffolk at that time (CRR). - In 1194 Philip de Conele had a law suit in Middlesex.  - The question is whether it was the same person. If so it would become clear that the de la Cnelle-Cnolle in those counties were all descendants of the de la Cunelle-Connelle family of Normandy (see conclusions in this web page).

Robertus de la Cnolle is reflected in the Pipe Roll of 1185 (Pipe Roll Soc.). They were probably brothers.

In 1199-1200 Robert le Savage and his son of the same name had sold a virgate of land in Durrington to Richard de la Knell and Isabel his wife (FF 1 John). Robert at this time held Broadwater. - Richard de Knel and Isabel his wife petition Sibill la Sauvage and Robert her son for half a hide of land in Dirinton (Durrington) on account of 'mort d'ancestor'. Sibill and Robert acknowledge that they have one twelfth of a knight's fee there. Therefore Richard and Isabel gave Robert 5 marks and relinquish all their right in 3 hides of land in Durrington, which Thomas Sauvage formerly held in one virgate land in this fee. Richard declares to be the man of Robert. That might imply that Richard's wife Isabel was kin to Robert or Sibill. - In 1086 Robert le Savage, lord of Broadwater, held 2 estates in Durrington of William de Braose. One of them contained one hide and the other one two hides and a yardland (VCH). -  In the one hide, which Thomas le Sauvage had,   Richard is enffeoffed in one hide. (SSX FF). - In 1086 Durrington had land for 8 ploughs. In later centuries tenants of Durrington manor were tenants of Broadwater to which Durrington belonged (Hist. of SSX, V. 6). The overlord was then William de Braose.

John de Wykeholt petitions William de la Cnelle for one hide of land in 'la Cnelle'. William, on the instance of John, gives Robert, William's brother, a virgate of land in Clapham, which William Bacun had, and some money in 1230 (all SSX FF). He was still living in 1255 (Local Surnames). - The rector of Tarring, William Rector of Broadwater, William la Cnille or Cnelle (spelled Civille), William and Adam de Felde, and others witness a charter by Stephen de Offington to the church of St. Bartholomew at Calceto and the monks there. As the document was almost  illegible and the  the manor of de la Cnelle lies next to Field Place manor, later called Knelle and Field place, it is certainly William la Cnille or Cnelle) (SAC The Priory of Pynham). - William de Offington is mentioned in 1207 by Farrer in his Honours and Knight's fees in the Rape of Arundel.

Henry de la Knolle pays subsidies in 1235.

Circa 1260 Robert de la Knolle sells an acre of land to Robert de Holt. In 1272 he had to pay 3 marks 3s 4d for tenements and land of Gregorius de Rokele (Plea Rolls). Gregory was keeper of the exchange of London (CCR 1282) and a friend of Matthew de Knelle of Knelle manor in Hastings Rape.

Philip, son of Robert de la Cnolle 1266 issues a deed concerning Robert de Holt of Holt farm in Clapham near Tarring. He grants to Nicholas de la Holt one acre in the common field of Holt between land of Walter de la Soelling and land of William le Niweman for a rent of 6d yearly for 112 years. Consideration 2 marks. Wtnesses are William de la Holte, Matthew Clapham and others. This sale is endorsed referring to the sale of one acre in la Holte by Robert de la Knolle to Richard de la Holte in the time of Edw I (Add Mss 26964). 1270 Philip de la Cyle or Cnylle appears in 'Assessments'.

Richard de la Knelle is collector of the tenth between 1292 and 1301 and from 1317-1327. As Ricardus de la  Cnolle he appears in the Parliamentary writs of 1295-6 with Ralph de Littlebury who was ordered to appear personally at the barons of the Exchequer. The writ dates of 15 Nov. 1296. Ralph and Richard had letters to act for the county of Middlesex. Therefore they were officials of King Edward I. - 15 Nov. 1296 Richard de la Cnolle, a serjeant -at-law, was ordered to appear before the treasurer and barons of the Exchequer (CCR). The reason was that he had been collector of taxes in Middlesex (CPR).  He died in 1331 (CFR). At the same time a Richard de la Cnolle appears in Hampshire as knight of the shire. - Again we have a connection of the de la Cnolle to Middlesex and also to Hampshire.

In 1296 William atte Knelle pays 1s tax in Atherington, c. 12 km west of Tarring. William Kneller pays 6 1/2 d tax in Sompting near Tarring in 1327, being recorded as William Knoller in 1332 as one of the villeins of the abbot of Fécamp (SSX Lay SB).- Atherington was used by the abbey of Sées (Orne) by their bailiff for their English lands (see above earl Montgomery). In the mid 14th C. the bailiff was the abbey's attorney general or proctor in England. Atherington is described as a manor from 1352. The tenants' lands lay in Climping parish (A Hist. of SSX V. 5). - Sir William and Peter de la Knolle appear in 1309 (FF).

In 1310 William Payn petitions from Nigel Payn a messuage, a mill, 252 a of land and 15 acres of meadow in Angmering, Tarring and Knelle. William de la Felde and Agnes his wife put in their claim (SSX FF). This makes sure that Agnes was a de la Knelle.

Reynold or Reginald atte Knelle or de Knelle

In 1322 Richard atte Felde had had a law suit against William son of Joan de Maleuil (Malville) for two messuages, land and rent in Tarring, Durrington and Broadwater. Richard received it for a payment of 20 marks. - In 1330 Reginald petitions from William le Maleuile a messuage, 2 virgates of land and 5 acres of meadow in Pageham. Reversion to Reginald for 20 marks. - 1330 John Beysescu v. Peter de la Hage, a messuage, land, wood and rent in Pagham. It went to John for life, remainder to Ralph de la More and Sarra his wife and heirs of Ralph. Reginald atte Knelle, William de Bredes and William Maleule put in their claim (SSX FF). In 1332 Reginald atte Knelle, William de Bredes and William Maleuile (Malville) put in their claim in a lawsuit between John Beyesescu and Peter de la Hage about a messuage, land and rents in Pageham. There seem to be marital connections between the de la Felde, de la Knelle and the Malville families and maybe also the Pagham family was somehow involved.

The family of Malville owned also land in Kent. Malville in Normandy was held in 1035 by Ansgot de Crispin, who had married Heloise of Flanders and Guines, who had brought him the fee of Malville with other properties. Therefore the Malville family certainly came to England at  the time of the Conquest in 1066. This family were probably tenants of the Crispin's.

On 23 Jan. 1333 Reginald witnesses 2 charters by Thomas Camoys, son of Ralph de Camoys and Margaret de Braose, at Westminster, concerning Fletching manor: Grant of all his lands and tenements in Fletching (fflechinge), both demesne lands held of him in villeinage with the rents and services of his free tenants and the advowson of Fletching church every third turn. (PRO SRL/2/23/5 dd 23 Feb 1333 - Quitclaim) William de Lychpole, undertenant of Offington nearby, was one of the other witnesses.

Fletching is situated at the border between East and West Sussex and some km north of Lewes, but West Tarring lies half way between Goring Castle and Broadwater, the latter had been held by the Camoys family at that time as the caput of their Barony of Camoys. The Radmild and Dallingridge families held later much land there (Sheffield manor).

In 1340-1 Parliament granted the 'nonae' tax on every ninth lamb, fleece and sheaf, whereby the parishers had to swear by oath. Reginald de Knell gave evidence for Tarring to the tax collector in Shoreham.

In 1347 Reginald puts in his claim in a contention between Ralph atte More and Sarra his wife v. Henry, vicar of the church of Pageham, and John, vicar of the church of Sidlesham, for the manor of Oulham and much land and rent in Tangmere, Boxgrove, South Bersted, East Lavant and Middle Lavant. The verdict was for Ralph and Sara for life, remainder to their son Thomas and Agnes his wife, contingent remainder to the heirs of Thomas (all SSX FF).- Reginald witnesses another charter - enfeoffment in Cremesham (Crimsham near Pagham on sea) - 2 km NW of Pagham lies Bramber Farm (Add Mss 4001 dd 1 Feb. 1350 (W. SSX Rec. Off.). - In 1351 he gives evidence by oath in Steyning. - The Bodleian charters show  Everard and Michael, sons of Reginald de Cnoll (no date).

In 1388 Richard earl of Arundel held at his forfeiture a quarter o the manor of Knelle in Goring. It had a dovecote worth 3s 4d yearly, 60 acres of arable land worth 3d an acre yearly, 2 acres of meadow worth 6d an acre yearly and rents of assi<ze 12s a year (Inq. Misc. V. 6 p. 219)  - 1479 Grant by Philip Lewes, John Peynel, Thomas Knylle of a tenement, 5 1/2 a arable land in Cote by Tarring (Cap/I/15/23).

The above documents make it clear that the de la Knelle family had extended their sphere also to Pagham and surroundings and had family connections with most of the persons mentioned above.


In 1130-35 Robert FitzTetbald of Shropshire and his descendants named Dunstanville held PETWORTH comprising twentytwo and a half fees. Afterwards it belonged to Joscelin, brother of Adelise de Louvain, second queen of King Henry I;  to Alan de Zouche for some time, and in 1204 the bailiff of Sussex was ordered to give Petworth to William de Briwere (Ant. of Shrops. by Eyton). At a later date Walter de Dunstanville held those lands including Idsal in Shropshire, where he gave to his harper Oliver the hamlet of Knolle, whereof the family took its name. They were also called 'de la Knolle' with variations. Tetbald had also held Goring in 1086 of Earl Roger de Montgomery and many more fees in this rape. He was the chief tenant of Roger in Sussex and Shropshire (DB). Goring went later to his descendants, neighbors to the de la Knelle and de la Field families. At a later date Goring belonged to the Tregoz family.

William son of Robert (Centre for Kentish studies). - Willmo atte Knelle in 1296  pays 1 s 9 1/4 d In the Villat of Pettewerthe (Petworth) in the Hundred of Retherbregg (Rotherbridge) and 1s in Atherington at sea which lies a few km south of Arundel (SB). - In 1327 it is John Knollere who pays 2 s 3d in Petworth and in 1332 Walter Knoller pays 3s 8d tax there as well and is taxator; William atte Knolle 1s; and John Knoller 3s 4d (SB). - This William is the same as the one of Tarring at that time.

In 1296 Robert de Knoll intervenes for bishop Anthony Bek of Dunolm' against William de Hamelton concerning the manor of Rustington. William leaves the manor to the bishop for his life (SSX FF). After the bishop's decease the property was to go to Johanna, late the wife of John de Bohun (SSX FF).Tthe same year Roberto atte Knolle pays 1s in Petworth and 1s 6d in Cuckfield (SSX SB). - In 1305 Robertus de Knoll was elected sheriff of Sussex for 3 years (The Worthies of SSX). - 1307 Robert de Knolle (by Roger de Stretton) v. William de Slifhurst and Isabel his wife, two third parts of a third part of a messuage, a carucate of land, 10 a of meadow and 62 s rent in Tolinton, Petworth and Doneketon - Robert succeeded for a payment of 30 lbs (SSX FF).  - He was dead by 1315 when Alice, widow of Robert de Knolle asks for dower of the manor of Pagham. - Gocelino atte Onelte (Cnelle?) in 1296 pays 1s 8 1/4d tax in Tulinton (Tolinton), Arundel Rape, in 1327 it is Richard with 1s.

The manor of PAGHAM

From the Kilwardby Survey of the archbishop's manors in south eastern England (KAS): - 1273-4 Peter de la Knelle has to pay 10s for marrying William Peyteum's widow with 2 acres of land. - Stephen de la Knelle has to pay relief of 4 lbs for one virgate of land which was his father's. - Ralph de la Fythie pays 20s for 4 acres of land which belonged to Robert de la Knelle. The bailiff accounts for a deficit of 3 bushels of wheat of Robert de Knelle's land. Note: In the survey the name is written de la Kelle. But Aldwick belonged to Pagham manor and later Knelle family members held land there.

In the Sussex Subsidy of 1332 in the Hundred of Pageham, Villat’ de Aldewyk (between Pageham and Crimsham near Chichester) are mentioned Hamone atte Knelle, who paid 1s and Petro atte Knelle who paid 6 ¾ d in Aldewyck and Hamme. - From the History of Pagham in Sussex: Robert at Knelle held 1 virgate of land in Aldewyck owing works without rent, Stephen at Knelle the same. - Robert at Knell pays 15s for 1 virgate of land, so does Alice (GBS). - Three virgates of land and seven crofts were granted to Richard Saltere, called Rowecroft, late of Hamond atte Knelle, probably the same as in the Subsidy Roll. - One virgate of land in Alnwick, formerly of William Carnell. (Note: The family of Charnels came from Carneille near Briouze in Normandy and other Charnels from Charnelle near de la Knelle who were tenants of the Breteuil and later by the earls of Leister who gave them land in Leicester.. - The names Peter and Stephen appear in 1273 and 1332.

Thomas atte Knelle brought a plea against Thomas Batte that he cut down 2 oaks in his field called Babyshamforlonge and took away their branches at a damage of 3s 4d. - Thomas de Knelle and Thomas Batte were accused of trespass and detention of charters (GBS, no date).

Walter Knoller in 1296 pays his dues in Eseburn, Chichester Rape. - Henry Kenele 3s 1/4d in Codlaw, Chichester Rape. - John, son of Henry de la Knolle (see Tarring) had bought from John de Argenthein property pertaining to the manor of Argenthins (Argentein's) in North Mundham, Chichester Rape, consisting of a hall with chambers on each side, kitchen, grange etc. For this holding he paid 3s 3 1/4d subsidies  in Mundham in 1327. - In 1364 William Herestede of London and Agnes his wife, daughter of said John, conveyed those premises to John de Markely, Agatha his wife and Alice their daughter (VCH). - 1332 Hundred of Midhurst, Surrey, 10 km west of Petworth, Johanne atte Knelle, Cnolle, Knolle, pays 4s (Surrey Rec. Soc.).

These documents show that the families of Tarring, Petworth and Pagham-Aldewick were of the same stock.

Spelling the name: Chelle, de la Kelle, de la Cnelle, Kelle, Knelle, Knell, Knele, Knel. Knell manor in Tarring also called 'de la Cnelle' (VCH Index).

In 1398 Thomas (Bourchier), Archbishop of Canterbury, held West Tarring manor, Aldewick, Pagham and Aldewick Hundred in Sussex (CIPM). - 1503 Licence to grant the manor of Broadwater, Ssussex, late of William Radmild, kt., messuages, land and rent in Worthbarsted, Pagham and Tarring and the advowsom of the chantry of  K n y l l  in the church of Tarring to John, the abbot and the prior and convent of St. Peter in Westminster. (Note: The Knell chantry had become Knyll chantry).

In 1547 there was still a George Knelles, who held a messuage and appurtenances in Burfham parish. - 1643 Francis Cheynell of Petworth held a discours at Parliament (SSX Topography).

West Sussex

Somehow connected to Hertfield-Dallingridge holdings

Domesday Book showes that in 1086 a certain William de Chenele held of Walter de Cahagne, 2 hagae or plots of land with premises in the Burgh of Lewes. Walter had 4 fees, held from the earls of Warenne, Moriton and EU. He was the ancestor of the Hertfield family of Hertfield, where he held his court. The same 4 fees were in the hands of that family still in the 13th C.(see Dallingridge genealogy). - William de Chenele, Quesnel or Kenelre, according to different lists, was one  of the persons accompanying Duke William of Normandy to the Conquest of England and the Battle of Hastings. - Greto held Chenenolle or Cnolle in the reign of King Stephen and is mentioned in his confirmation charter to Lewes Abbey. - Ordin de Cnolle appears in the Cartulary of Lewes Priory in about 1150 and was still living c. 1190 in Sussex (EPN Soc. 7). - He is contemporary with Hemeric and Philipp de Cnelle and may be a descendant of William de Chenele. - In 1203 Ricardo de la Cnolle and Helewise his wife petition Laurence de Horseye by Walter le Quier for a third part of a hide in Lamport, Horseye and Beverington (Bevendean) part of the Cahanne-Hertfield fee. Laurence gives them instead one acre of a meadow called 'The fountain acre' in Horseye and 3 marks (SSX FF). - About that time William de Gulaffre gives Juliane, widow of his brother Richard, who had petitioned him for 60 a of land in Knelle manor in the rape of Hastings in East Sussex, gives her instead land in Beverington and Horseye. This fact seem to show a link between the Cnoll family there and Cnelle in Hastings rape. - In 1296 Johanne Kenely paid 1s and Henry Kenele 3s 1/8d in 1327 in the Burgh of Lewes (SB).

John de Knolle 1296 pays 1s 5 1/2d for land in Isfield between Hurstpierpoint and Fletching. - In 1307 Johannes atte Cnolle pays 4s near West Laverington and Eastbourne, c. 7km to the west of Petworth (Feudal Aids), and in 1327 2s 2 1/4d in Sheffield, Pevensey Rape. - Thomas atte Knolle pays also 1s for Sheffield, in 1332 he pays subsidies for Sheffield in Pevensey Rape, Hundred of Riston, and Dene where the Dallingridge family, partly heirs of the Hertfield family, held land. - In 1327 the owner of Hurstpierpoint and Cuckfield was called John ate Knolle, land formerly of Robert (SB). In that year he also holds land in Sheffield c. 6 km from Fletching manor, as did Margaret de Dallingridge in 1296.- Robert atte Knolle pays subsidies in 1327 and 1s in Petworth in 1332 (SSX SB). - Please see also de la Cnelle memberts of Petworth above!

It is even possible that Margaret de Dallingreg (see Dallingridge genealogy) had a daughter, who was married to a Knolle, based on her holdings in Marsfield and Sheffield and the taxes she paid for them in 1296, which amount  had been split in 1327. A part went certainly to John Dallingridge, and I suspect that at least another part went to the Knolle family. Margaret held also land in Marsfield.

In 1327 Mary Kanel's taxes in Marsfield amount to 9d and those of Robert Canel to 3s 5d in South Heighton. John Kanel pays 1s 6 3/4d in Nutley in Marsfield and Sheffield; Thomas atte Knolle also in Sheffield in 1327 and 1332; Alfred Kanel holds land near Hailsham c. 10 km from Bexhill in 1332 (SB). - William Canell of Fletching sues John Mascot for a tenement and land in Marsfield 1390 (SSX FF). - This spelling is near to Cainel, a family documented in Normandy in the county of EU and found in northern England later.

Nicholas atte Knelle has land in Nutley in Marsfield in 1407 (AMS 290). - In 1430 Thomas Knolle is a witness in West Dene (SAS-M/1/480). - In 1444 Edmund atte Knoll appears in the cartulary of the priory of Lewes (Middle English Dict.).. - 1548, Oct. 2 Edward Knell witnesses a grant in Mayfield (PRO DYK/738). - 1550 - Dissolution of chantries: 8 s from tenements in St. Peter's Parish Lewes, in tenure of Christopher Kneller (CPR). - 1679, Oct. 6 - Court Roll of Sir John Pelham, Bart. regarding assart land in Waldron, late Canells (SAS - RF/2/233).


Petronilla atte Knelle and John de Knelle of Glynde or Petronilla de la Knolle, Alice and Juliana her daughters, (GLY/1142, pre 1290), feoffment of land in Glynde near Lewes. - Petronilla atte Knelle is listed in an inquisition and assessment relative to Feudal Aids. - Late 13th C. Alice, widow of Richard Clere (GLY/1147). - In 1317 Alice de Knolle holds land in Glynde (PRO) - 20 Feb. 1367 Alexander atte Knolle witnesses a feoffment in Glynde (PRO GLY/1184).

In 1298 Ricardus Neel sues Galfrido de Eresbern and Joan his wife for 5 messuages, land and rent in Horsham, Hechingfield, Slindfold, Dorking, Craule and Werthe (SSX FF). -  During the reprisals against the Templars in 1308 regarding their properties in Shipley and Sedlescombe, Walter Gelding, sheriff of Sussex, convoked a jury at Horsham to that end, of which Henry atte Knolle was one of the members. He is mentioned in the Feet of Fines in 1314. In 1332 Godfrey Neel pays 3s 1d in Charleton and Shottesfeld in Bramber Rape, and John Knel 1s in Horsham. - Thomas Neel holds land in Tangmere and pays 10 3/d; William Neel the same with 8d; and Alice Neel 1s in Wichtring in 1332. Walter atte Herst v. Richard atte Knolle and Isabel his wife concerning a messuage and land in Wiston, which went to Walter (1358-63).

1415 John Knolle took part in the battle of Agincourt (SAC). - 1437, June 7 - Baldwyn Hankyn late of Erthingley in Sussex, clerk, for not appearing before the King to answer Robert Knoller for a plea of trespass. - 2 Oct. 1548 - Edward Knell witnesses a deed of Nathaniel Studley of Mayfield, gent, to Stephen Penckherst of land in Mayfield.


In 1180 Aernulf de Cnolle and two others owe one mark amercement for having lost their case, but they have nothing (CPR Kent).

Elfricus de Kenesle in 1198 was sued by Richard FitzEdward for one and a half acres and a third part of half an acre with appurtenances in Detlinge by reason of mort d'ancestor. Elfric gives Richard half a mark (FF). On 10 November a final concord ensued before John de Gestlings and his fellow judges , by which Richard renounces and conveyes to Elfric and his heirs all his right in the land for ever receiving from Elfric half a silver mark (CPR p. 80). - Kenesle may be a form of Quesnel.

Henry de la Knolle sues William de Knolle for 3 acres of land in Aldington, of which his mother Alice was seized in the time of King John (1199-1216). It descended to her three sons, of whom two are dead (A Hist. of the Weald of Kent). In the  early 13th C. Henry de Cnolle witnesses a charter to Canterbury Cathedral Priory of land recorded in Chartham court near Canterbury (CCA).- Aldington lies between Romney marsh and Ashford. and thus not far from Knelle.

In 1227 a place called Knell in ('Ulmis') in Ash is recorded: John de St. Leger v. Reginald de Cornhill, who loses, and with other property gives John a payment of 6s in Knell ('Ulmis in Ash, namely whatever he had in Knell (CCA). - In 1354 a Robert atte Nelle is witness to a quitclaim by John Noble of Bourne to Richard FitzBernard of Maidstone (CCA). - 1280 Demise by Walter, son of Robert Dormeye, to Walter de Welles of a virgate of land in the Hundred of Preston next the land of Sampson de Nelme (Knell) in Ash for seven years. - 1303 Feoffment by Simon de Nelme to Walter de Welles of land in the hundred of Preston, with a seal Simon' FIL Will' 1, Kent. - 1449-50 John Clinton of Ash near Sandwich expelled Roger Cliderowe, esq. from his manor of 'Nelmes' (Knell) (KAS, Ancient indictments). - In 1943 a plane type Typhoon had an accident at Great Knelle farm at Ash (TNA).

1270 - Alice de la Knolle claims reasonable dower of land in Welles. - Ca. 1270 Alice de la Cnolle holds 10a of land in Welles of the Prior of the Holy Trinity in Canterbury. - Peter son of Simon of Sevenoaks grants to Robert of la Cnolle a tenement in Sevenoaks for a gersun and a rose.  - In 1316-7 William James to John, son of Robert de Knolle, near Sevenoaks (Centre of Kentish Studies (CKS-U1450/2/35/40).

1286 Partition of lands of the manor of Bocton in Kent including four and a half acres on La Knolle before the gates of Simon de la Cnolle.  - Late 13th C. Thomas , son of  William de la Knolle and Cecilia his wife, recognize a sale in Fordwich in Kent (U/4/1/103) - 1316-7 John son of Robert de Knolle (Centre for Kentish Studies (U1450/T7/40).

12 Oct. 1290 Johanna and Margery, heirs of Roger de la Cnolle, hold land in Bilsington (Cartulary of Bilsington Priory). Bilsington had been held by the counts of EU by the marriage of John Count of EU with Adeliza daughter of William earl of Arundel and Adeliza de Louvain, widow of King H I. In 1189 King Richard had given it to Alured, son of Alured de St. Martin who had been the second husband of Adeliza, widow of John Count of EU. In 1253 John Mansel, Provost of Beverley and chancellor of King Henry III founded a priory there.

In Fernthe or Frant on the border of Sussex and Kent, where Joan's father William Batesford held land, there is a Knoll, Knolle, Knollere family recorded, the members of which paid subsidy tax in 1296, 1327 and 1332. An Edmund Knell appears in Frant in the 17th C. - In 1296 Walter atte Knoll had paid 6s 1d in Frant and John le Knollere 6s. They were also jurors. In 1327 the taxators were John atte Knolle paying 3s 9d and Walterus Knoller with 1s 2d.

Lay Subsidies KENT 1332, 1335
William de Knolle, Teynham near Faversham. He appears with his wife Isabel in a CPR document about the same time. - Richard de Knolle, parish of Kinghamford - Hamon de Knolle, parish of Ringslow  - Edmund atte Knolle Lathe of Scray (this is Edmund de Knelle who held Knelle manor in 1335, he does not appear in the Sussex Subsidies 1332).

1343, March 14 Thomas de Cnolle witnesses a charter by John de Grenewye to William de Eyete of Hollingbourn and his wife Mary (CCA-DCc-ChAnt/H760).

1359 Thomas de Knolle witnesses a deed by John son of Thomas de Cobham (CCR) - In 1367 William de Cnolle witnesses a charter of Emma de Isefeld's grant to the church of St. Mary and Nicholas of Ledes in Kent and the canons there (Charter Roll, p. 207).

1375 and 1380 Robert de Neelle or Neylle, cousin and heir of Walter Neelle or Neylle grants the manor of Eslingham with appurtenances to several people and gives them a quitclaim with warranty (CCR).

1395 Richard Kenell v. Richard Spykinge and Margery his wife, a messuage, land, wood and appurtenances in Chydingston. Richard pays them 20 silver marks for their quitclaim (Kent FF).   

1408 lands of the heirs of Thomas Knolle  in Headcorn.(U120/T4/1 Centre for Kentish Studies). - In 1418 Johanna, wife of John Spicer held Cnoll or Knolle, dependant of the court of Newinton, Kent (CIPM).

On 15 April 1440 Thomas Cnell, sen. witnesses a grant by Richard Bredgate in Herne near Canterbury in Kent to Vincent Fernungham of a messuage in the vill of Herne(CCA/H/150) - 1466 Pardon to Thomas Knell for not appearing before the King to satisfy him for his ransom, for not pursuing his appeal against Thomas Honington late of Little Horsted, Sussex, gent, for the death of John Knell, his brother (CPR). 


Hasted says that a Thomas Knelle was buried in our Lady's chancel in the church St. Peter and St. Paul, to which had been a benefactor. This would be Thomas Knelle of Appledore, who made his will at the Grey Friars of Canterbury on 27 Dec. 1509. - Thomas was a witness to the will of Gylis Assherynden dated 10 Sept. 1541, who left him 40s as he had been his overseer (KAS). He was rector of Warehorne and Snave and vicar of Lyminge. Ca. 1570 Thomas de Knell was a benefactor of the Church of Appledore (Martyr's of the March (GBS).

The first member of which there is knowledge in Appledore so far, is William Knell, whom the abbot 'Essex' of St. Augustine's of Canterbury refused the lease of the manor of Wyke, for which he had paid already. 1518-29 Thomas Partiche sues William Knelle for a messuage in Appledore (TNA C1/555/68). - 3 Feb. 1532 William Knelle was witness of the enfeoffment mentioned in the will of Edmund Robin to John Knell. - 1538-9 CIPM of William Knelle. 1554 A messuage called Gosborows in Appledore, formerly of William Knell.

Joan Bocher or Knell, was the wife of William Knell of Romney Marsh, who dying in 1526, left lands in Wittersham and Appledore. They had a daughter Anne, a minor. William's brothers, William the elder and Thomas, survived him. William was enfeoffed by Edmond Robyn and witnessed his will dated 3 February 1532. He held 450 acres in Brookland, Ivychurch, Snargate, Snave, Stone in Oxney, Appledore and Kennardington, each with a messuage and a barn. At Appledore he had a house and stables. His principle residence was at Brookland. He was arrested in January 1538 for supporting papacy and was executed at Maidstone on 26-30 April 1539 (Letters and State Papers, Foreign and Domestic V. 14): Attainder of William Knell and divers other abominable traitors, who suffered execution (Throckmorton Plot). - Poor Joan Bocher-Knell incurred the same fate as her brother-in-law William. Archbishop Kramer condemned her for her religious opinions as Anabaptist, and she was burned at the stake on 2 May 1550 at Smithfield. It is said that she was a friend of Anne Askew, who belonged to the circle of Queen Catherine Parr. Anne was the only woman, who was tortured in the Tower of London. She was burnt for protestant leanings at Smithfield at the age of 26 on 16 July 1546 (Wikipedia). - There is a descrepancy in the dates.

21 Sept. 1545 Thomas Hynxstende left Margaret Knell, wife of Thomas Bedyll 20s in his will (KAS). - John Hall of Wilsborough married Johanna, daughter of Johannis Knell of Appledore, gent in c. 1550-60. John Hall died in 1605 and Johanna in 1580. They had two sons, John who made his will in 1634, William of Kennington, and a daughter. The three of them produced 19 grandchildren (The Vis. of Kent 1619). - At about the same time Luke Clapham de Thurby in Yorkshire married Julian Knell of Appledore, probably sister of Johanna (The Vis. of Warwick). Clapham arms: AR on a bend AZ 6 fleur-de-lis, two, two and two, or. Crest: A lion rampant sable holding a sword erect AR, pomelled and hilted OR. (TheVisit. of Warwicks.) - 1596 James Knell of Appledore, gent., sold land to John Berry snr. and jnr., yeomen of Lydd (Siton/4524). - On 12 Nov. 1580 James Knell wrote a letter to the mayor of Rye. This seems to be the same person. - Barnabas Knell was vicar of Reculver in 1621 (DCb/J/J28/13 and 20).

Knell Wills taken from Arch.Cantiana: 1521 Stephen, Appledore; 1526 William, Appledore; 1572 John, Brookland; 1578 James, Brookland; 1579 Joane, Brookland; 1585 Clement, Brookland; 1590 John, Appledore; 1593 John. Appledore; 1599 James, Appledore; 1621 William, Romney Marsh; 1628 Elizabeth, Kenardington; Barnabas buried at Canterbury St.Dunstan. One can see that they are all of the family above, mentioned according to their holdings.


1242-3 Theobald de Chnolle holds half a fee in Brenchesle of Alicia de Dammartin and she from the earl of Gloucester (Testa Nevill). At the same time there was a Theobald de la Cnolle in Essex. - 1315 Richard de Knolle has half a fee in Brenchesle (Knowle) (CIPM). - The heirs of Richard de Grofherst pay 20s for two fees which William de Knol had at Parrok in Brenchesle, held of the earl of Gloucester (Feudal Aids V. 3). - 1357 Land called Le Knolle in Benenden Parish (CCA). Richard was married to Sarah who had been during the disturbances on the side of the barons. He died in one of the battles, when Sara received his land and the custody of their son.- 1393 Richard de Knolle had half a fee in Brenchesle, held of Thomas earl of Stafford deceased (CIPM). Joan Brenchesle, daughter of William de Batelesford, in her will dated 1453, orders that Sir Thomas Knyell of Knowle in Brenchley shall have the opportunity to buy her land in Brenchesle at the price anybody would give, and the executors of her will to use the money for alms to the poor. - 19 Sept. 1403 Inquisition at Tonbridge, Kent, for Cobham: He had in Brenchley half a fee held by Richard de Knolle  (CIPM). - 1460-1 Richard Cnolle  held half a fee in Brenchesley, Kent (CIPM). - In 1484 Richard Culpepper died seised of lands and tenements in Knolles in Brenchesle. - 1549 woods in Benenden called Knolle (Surrey Hist. Centre). - 1649 Will of Edmund Knell of Brenchesle. - c.1700 at the Court Leet at Brenchley Roger Knell was chosen constable for the hundred of Brenchley and Horsmonden. On 13 Oct. 1702 he was discharged (TNA Q/SB). - In 1833 a Stephen Knell was born in Brenchley.

In 1830 the following places in Kent were existant: Kennel wood in Cranbrook, Kennels Farm in Sholden, Knoll wood in Denton near Elham, Knowlden Farm in Ivychurch, Knowle Farm in Charing, Knowle Farm in Sturrey, Knowle wood in Barham, The Knowle in Brenchley, Chennel Park in Tenderden in Shelleys Knockholt (Brookland Tithe award schedule (KAS).


Lingfield and Chertsey Cartularies:

William and Adam (Ade) de Knell had paid subsidies in Sussex in 1296 in Pett. - 1295 Ricardus de Knolle, son of Ade de Knoll, owes 3 marks 15s 4d for false clamour (PR). - 1326 Henrico de Kenell, son of Adam de Knell, pays subsidies in Surrey. - 1317 William de Kenele and Henry atte Dene, Simon de Kenele are mentioned. William appears also in 1324. 1326 Henrico de Kenele, son and heir of of William Kenele (Publicat. of the Surrey Rec. Soc.). 1332 Walter de Kenele pays 8d in villata de Colestone and Wadeton (near Lingfield) [Surrey taxation returns]. - 1347 Richard Willoughby acquired a mill in Beddington from Walter Kenele (Hist. of Surrey). - Walter Kenele and Isabel his wife (CFR). 1332 Isabel ate Knolle pays 3s2d in West Horsley (Surrey taxation returns). - Annual Report of the Deputy Keeper of the Public Rec. Office p.168: Appointment of John Lovetot and Elias de Bekingham to take the assizes of novel disseisin arraigned by Roesia atte Knelle and others, touching a tenement, against Alice atte Knelle (GBS). - Hundred of Midhurst near Edenbridge. - On 10 April 1634 Edward Knell of Lingfield made his will (11/165 PROB). - In Lingfield church can be seen a monument for John Knoll, master of the college (Magna Britannia),: Here lyeth Master Johii Knoyll sumtyme Master of this colege which Master John deceased the iiij day of July the yere of oure lord thoussand CCCCC iij on whose soull Jhu haue mercy amen (Arch. Coll. V.5). - A Knell field still exists in Lingefield. - Johannes atte Knelle (Cnolee, Knolle) v. Thomas de Weston (Rec. Soc. p. 206) near Edenbridge in the Hundred of Medhurst.. - 1428 Margeria Knolle holds a quarter fee in Compton, Surrey. - 1428 Kent Final Concords CP 25/1/114 mentions Robert Lenersegge de Cnell in the county of Surrey.

Cranleigh and Bromley:

The manor of Bramley included at the Survey of 1068 a large part of the county what later became the manors in the parishes of Wonersh and Cranley and others. Bishop Odo, half brother of the Conqueror, held it at that time and included land in Clandon and Gomshall till his rebellion, when King Henry I gave it for a while to Eustace of son of William de Breteuil and grandson of William FitzOsborne, earl of Hereford and Lord of the Isle of Whight. (VCH Hampshire).

Walter Knolle had a law suit in Dorking in 1281 (c. 15 km NE of Cranleigh). - In 1304 Robert, William and Henry at Knowle of Knowle manor witnessed deeds in Cranleigh. (VCH V. 3). - 1308-9 Peter at Knowle granted a house in Shere to Bartholomew of Shere, who in turn released land to Henry at Knowle and his wife Cassandra, who in 1336 granted Cravenhurst away in farm. - 1314 Peter de la Knolle is sued for Shere by Bartholomew de Shere and his wife Alice (Surrey FF). - 1327 Henry de la Knolle and his wife Kassandra v. Bartholomew de Shire and Alice his wife (All FF). - 1315 Henry atte Knolle and his wife Matilda go to court for Uhurst in Bromley (Surrey FF) - 1318 John Holherst and Henry atte Knolle of Cranleigh owe 16 lbs to Roger Bromshull. -  21 March 1330 William atte Brokhole of Effingham acknowledges that he owes to Peter atte Knoll 100 lbs. - Henrico atte Knolle  pays 12 d in the villat de Bromlegh in 1332.(Surrey taxation returns). - 1347 John atte Knolle of Cranlegh released land and rent lying in Bromlegh, Kent, to John de Roulee (Ancient Deeds). -  1410 Walter Knolles v. Henry Whyssh and Johanne his wife in Bromley. 

In later centuries Knowl hill in Cranley became Chennel's hill, and the members of the family called themselves now Chenel or Chennell. For example 1560 christening of John Chennell of Shere, son of John. 1635 marriage of Robert Chenill and 1646 Richard Chennell both of Cranleigh. 1711 marriage of Richard Chennell of East Clandon. Possibly, the Cranleigh families were a branch of the Bagshot one. Meanwhile the family had extended to West Clandon, Wonersh, Albany, Godalming, Ewhurst and Guildford.

Dorking in Surrey and Warnham in Sussex.

1370 John de Middenhull, clerk, Walter de Warnham and Philip Landfey sue Thomas de Leuknor, kt. and Joan his wife for the manor of Stoke Doyly in Northamptonshire., the manor of Whatton in Leicester, the manor of la Denne in Sussex, the manor of Routon in Staffords. The claimants received it for 400 marks.- 1388 John Neudegate, Walter Knolle and Giles Taillour claim from Thomas Eldrich and Alice his wife land, wood, rent and a third of a messuage in Warnham in Sussex, land and wood in Dorking, Surrey, which went to the plaintiffs and the heirs of John (SSX FF). - Alice, daughter of Richard atte Knolle had married William de Keynes,  father of Richard de Keynes. - Walter de Warnham seems to be Walter de Knolle. There is another Field Place manor in Warnham, which was held by the de la Felde family, which also held Knell mansion or Field Place in Tarring, probably when there had been a marriage between the Knell and Field families, whose manors lay next to each other. - It seems that all those Knill-Knell-Knoll families mentioned are branches of one ancestor. Walter at Knowle witnesses deeds in 1360, 1414 and 1411 (father and son?)

1418-20 Walter Knolle and Giles Tayllour and John de Neudegate sue Thomas Eldrich and Alice his wife for 100 a of  land, 4 a of meadow, 10 a of wood and rent in Dorking and a messuage and 50 a in Warnham, Sussex, and Dorking, Surrey. 9 acres of land in Warnham were held by Giles Taillour of Kingsfold and Alice his wife for life. The property went to Walter, Giles and John and heirs of John (SSX FF). Walter's daughter married John de Neudegate. Therefore this may be a marriage settlement. They had descendants until 1612 (The Commoners of Engld. by Burke). - 1420 Elizabeth, daughter of Walter Knoll of Cranley and Margaret his wife married John Newdegate of Harlfield.

Bagshot, Wyndlesham and Chobham:

1278 Ricardus de Knolle petitions Alan de Haweman and Amice his wife for a messuage, a mill and land in Bagshot, Wyndlesham and Chobham in Surrey, and others in Kent and Sussex. Alan and Amice shall pay 10 lbs to Richard, and he gives them a sparrowhawk (SSX FF). - Richard atte Knolle of Bagshot, son Thomas, and daughter Alice, who married first William de Keynes and secondly John de Brigges, are recorded in a law suit (TNA SC 8/17/844). - Amice of Bramdean seems to be Richard's sister. In 1260 she renounced a wardship of John, son and heir of Andrew de Caen in Hampshire  to the bishop of Winchester  (VCH). In 1280-90 her nephew John de Knolle actts as witness in Southtrope (44 M69/327).

In 1278 Richard de Knoll petitioned in the same fine from Alan de Haweman and Amicia his wife a messuage, 100 a of land, 4 a of meadow, a mill and 7s rent in Papworth Anneys in Cambridge. See Below. - 1190 two yardlands were held of the Abbot of Ramsey in Graveley, which lies next to Papworth Anneys, Cambridge, by Walter of Knill, who was a templar (VCH): '(Ecclesia de Gravele est in donatione Abbatis Ramesiae. Walterus de Cnille tenet duas virgatas eadem libertate'.- This Richard de Knoll  held land in Surrey, Sussex and Cambridgeshire, Bagshot, Wyndelsham and Dorking. - Richard and his son Thomas are in some documents named de la Knolle, which seems to make them descendants of the de la Knell family of Knell house in Sussex. However, Richard's wife was Elena, mentioned as mother of Thomas and Alice in the documents above, may be a member of the Papworth family of Papworth Anneys, where that name occurs earlier, so that the bishop of Ely may have given the land to her husband for that reason.

Richard de Knolle in 1278 sues in the same document for a messuage, 27 a of land and 30 a wood and 23d rent in Chylersse and Flexham in Sussex. The end of the story is that Alan and Amice shall have all the properties for life with reversion to Richard and his heirs afterwards (For Amice please see also Hampshire).

C. 1327 John de Brigges, second husband of Alice de Knolle, and Alice state that Richatd her father had given the manor of Bagshot with appurtenances to William de Kaynes. But the earl of Winchester, Hugh de Dispenser, had persuaded Thomas de la Knolle, her brother, to let him have that manor, which he had held for 10 years. Therefore they ask for remedy (TNA SC8/17/844).- At the same time Richard de Wikes had purchased from Thomas de la Knolle several tenements in Windelsham, but Thomas had disseised him to enfeoff his mother Eleanor for life, who in turn enfeoffed her daughter Alice and her husband William Keynes. Richard Wykes had recovered the premises, but had been ejected by Hugh Despenser earl of Winchester and Thomas. The tenements were held by Hugh till his attainter. Therefore Richard asks for remedy (TNA SC 8/16/796). - 1338 John atte Knolle of East Clandon near Windelsham granted to the abbot of Chertsey, land and rent in East Clandon, retaining land in Middlesex (TNA C 143/245/2696). - 1387 Richard de Knolle goes to court for Bagshete, Wyndelsham and Chabeham (Surrey FF). Note: The land in Middlesex maybe connected to the later Knolle manor in this county and therefore also to the Cunelle-Conelle family (please see Conclusions in this website).

With reference to the marriage of Alice, daughter of Richard atte Knolle above), who married William de Keynes: 1245 The King concedes Peter de Geneville the custody of the land which had been  of Richard de Kaynes. The heir is William de Kaynes, for whom he has to spend 20 marks yearly for his sustenance (CFR Tower p. 437).1259 William de Kaynes pays 9 lbs 7s 6d for the aid to make the eldest son of the King a knight (CPR). - Roger de Lewknor married Joan daughter and heiress of Richard de Keynes of Horsted Kaynes in Sussex. He died 1295.


Graveley and Papworth Anneys.

1190 two yardlands were held in Graveley in Papworth Anneys, Cambridge, which belonged to the 4 fees of the abbey of Ramsey. Of Papworth 7 hides and of Graveley 5 were held in demesne of the bishop of Ely respectively of the abbot. of Ramsey (Feudal Cambridge). In 1161-7 Haimeric holds 2 virgates and Richard 1 (maybe this is Richard the Templar (Index VCH). About 1190 Walter de Knill, a templar (dto.) holds 2 yardlands in Graveley manor of the abbot of Ramsey of the fee of Ely and a croft for which he pays annually 12d. (VCH): '(Ecclesia de Gravele est in donatione Abbatis Ramesiae. Walterus de Cnille tenet duas virgatas eadem libertate'. - At that date Richard de Cunington holds 2 virgates of land for military service. - 1208 Robert de Cnolle, Richard de Coninton, Robert de Sap and Reginald de Knapwell were summoned to an assize as judges. In 1208 Robertus de Cnolle was one of the jurors concerning the land in Papworth, which Elena de Papworth had, namely one and a half virgates, held of Richard de Coniton (CRR). - By an undated charter Nicholas de Cuniton, son of Sir Robert de Cuniton, enfeoffed Gerard de Knylle, son of Jordan de Knille, of all the land with toft and croft and messuage in the fields and town of Gravele for a rent of 6s (Cal. of Deeds in PRO). - 1255 William de la Cnelle appears in the court Roll of Ramsey Abbey (GBS). - The tenants held also a mill, and there was a Knill well situated exactly between Gravele and Papworth Anneys (VCH). - In 1271-1273 and 1279 Gille or Gilbert de Knille was living in Cambridgeshire (The Hist. Research Center & Dict. of Surnames). The same year a Walter de Knolle is mentioned in Cambridge. -  See further  Bedford. - In 1240 La Cnelle existed in that county, called Knulle in 1400.

Papworth Anneys or Agnes had been bought by Richard de Clare earl of Gloucester in the early 13th C. The bishop of Ely recovered that land, which had been an Ely fee, whereof 100 acres of his demesne were settled on Richard of Knill. This is the Richard of Knoll or de la Knolle of Surrey and Sussex, who in 1272 tried to replevy this land. Obviously he had been a follower of Simon de Montfort (See Surrey).

BEDFORD (see Hampshire and Cambridge)

1198 Amauricus de Landres has 2 carucates except a 5th part which Henricus de Knell' holds. Those 2 carucates are worth 4 marks, and the whole vill is held by serjeantry from the king (Testa Nevill). - This Henry belonged to the Knill-Knell family of Cambridge and Bedford (Testa Nevill V. 1). Felmersham lies about 6 km to the north of Bedford. - Walter de Kinel is sued by the Prior of the Hospital for a messuage and a quarter virgate and 4 selllions of land in Bedford which Ralph de Kinel had held (Final Concords). - Denise, widow of Walter de Knelle of Gravely,  gave land to the canons of Bushmead Priory in Eaton, Bedford, between 1240-50 (GBS).


1207- Robert Cnolle was a burgher of Winchester and gave half a mark as surety (CFR). In 1219 he donated land to Godstow Abbey.(CH).

1241-2 Henry Keynell' acts as a surety (PR). - 14 Jan. 1241 at Winchester: Roger de (K)Noel and his wife Margery sue William de Leycester for a messuage with appurtenances in Southampton (FF H3).  - 1242 Cecilia wife of Robert de St. Laurence accounts for 20 lbs 10d in the iist of holdings of the monks of Lire and Comeille by witness of Robert de Cheneilly ( These abbeys had been founded by WilliamFitzOsborn in the 11th C. - Gilbert de la Cunelle may be the official of William FitzOsborn, who held of him the barony of Cholderton with land in Hampshire and Wiltshire. If so Robert de Chenelly may be a descendant of him. (Please dee Conclusions in this website.

1254 - Payments to enlarge the King's park: to Reynold de la Cnolle 5s 8d for a quarter acre and 7 perches. -  1256 - Frater Robert de Godstowe, Roger de Knelle and others were detained in the prison of Winchester for the death of Robert de Marchant and have letters to be bailed (CCR).

1268 Walter Knel gives half a mark for having a writ 'ad terminum' (FFH 3).

1282-5 Henricus de la Cnolle  owes 10 lbs to Adam de Stratton (Reg. of John de Pontissara, bishop of Winchester). In 1295 Henry pays 4 lbs, which he had received of the debt of Adam de Stratta. - On April 1284 Jordan son of Simon quitclaims land to Robert. - 1290 - Robert Knoel is custos of the Hospital in Southampton and dies that year (Parliamentary Roll).

1306 Richard de Cnolle was knight of the shire for Southampton (Parl. Writs). In this year Richard and Andrew de la Cnolle were manucaptors of Baldwin de Bello Alneto, knight (Parl. writs). Brothers or cousins?

Connected to Richard de la Cnolle of Surrey, Sussex and Cambridge

1260  Amilia or Amice de Cnolle relases to Selbourne Priory her claim in the wardship and marriage of John, son and heir of Andrew de Caen, and his lands and tenements in Bramdean (CChR). Obviously, she had been Andrew's overlord. This is the sister of Richard de Knolle of Bagshot, etc., Surrey, Northampton, Sussex and Cambridge. Amice was married to Alan de Haghman who held the manor of Wynslade in Hampshire 1275. Her nephew John de Cnoll, son of her brother Richard, inherited. - The manor of Wynslade had been held in 1086 by Walter of Hugh de Port (DB). In 1275 it was held by Alan de Hagheman and his wife Amicia of John de St. John (VCH). - This is the same Alan de Hagheman whom Richard de la Cnolle sued in 1278 (see Surrey). - Richard's son John de Cnoll  became Alan's and Amicia's heir (see below).

1280-90 John de Cnoll witnesses a charter in Herriard. In 1294 John de Knoll is witness to a confirmation charter by Isabella, widow of Warin de Bassingburn, in Southampton (CPR). [Warin, probably her son, held with two others Papworth Anneys in 1316, which had been of John's father Richard in 1278]. - 2 Feb. 1298-9 and 1314-5 John de Knolle was witness in Herriard to a deed by Sir Peter Coudray to William Blakeman of 3 crofts lying near Basingstoke (PRO 44M69/6/244). - In 1316 he was owner of the manor of Windslade. - 1320-2 and 1328 he appears as witness in Southtrop and Herriard. - John atte Knolle held Wynesflade in 1316 as nephew of Amicia and Alan, which he still had in 1336, half a fee of Hugh de St. John (CIPM), in 1347-8 the same. - 1341 Walter Knoll, forester of the New Forest in Southampton (CCR). In 1355 Walter Knolle held still Wyndslade (44M69/C/244 & 252). In that year he granted and quitclaimed land in Herriard.

John de Knolle of East Clandon had sold land in East Clandon, Surrey, to the Abbot and Convent of Chertsey between 1307-27 retaining land in Middlesex. This John was the same as the one who held Wynsflade in Hampshire and seems to be a brother of Thomas and Alice, and therefore another son of Richard de la Knolle, Knill etc. Thomas atte Knolle, his brother, held also lands at Stanwell near Stanes in 1335. As per VCH Middlesex, V. 3, he had a son John who appears in a grant of land at Stanwell. which lay between the land of John de Tichborne and John atte Knolle (ACC/0132/001 London Arch.). His uncle John, who had held Wynflade in Hampshire, had at his death enfeoffed another Tichbourne with that manor). John had a son William, in whose time the manor was called Knollers. 1406 Walter Knoll and Agnes his wife held a messuage for life in Stanes (TNA C 131/437/8). 1463 William atte Knoll of Staines, husbandman, owes money to John Clerk and John Edmede of Staines. A Knolcroft was seised into the King's hands (TNA C 131/72/9). - This two John de Knolle may also be related to the Conele family of Middlesex who held land near Stanes (Please see Conclusions in this web page).

Great Knulle manor

is situated next to Crondall and near to the Surrey border, where Bagshot lies north of it. The name was spelled Chenol in Domesday book. In 1140 Cnolle is mentioned in King's Clere Parish, later Cnolle, Great and Little Knowl, nowadays Knowle. - 1185-87 Henry, son of Richard, paid 10 marks to the Jews for release of his lands of Cnolle, witness William of St. Martin, Walter his son and many others (Soutwick Priory CH - 4M53/F1). - William de St. Martin, who held land in Hastings Rape, Sussex, d. 1216. - This Cnolle seems to be Knulle Court near Crondale, as the St. Martin's held land near to that place. Richard would have been born about 1120, which is for the moment the earliest date of the Knelle-Knolle families received.

Long Sutton Parish - In 1249 a division was made between the lands of William Syneguy, lord of the manor of Sutton Warblinton, and Hugh de Wengham, lord of Well, whereby the part of Hugh was to contain Great Knulle near Crondal. Sutton Warblinton had been held by another William de St. Martin in 1224. His son Hugh had died without descendants in 1249, therefore the King then granted this manor to William Synegue as escheat of the Norman lands (CCHR V. 1 and others). We have William de St. Martin the father and Alured de St. Martin as neighbours of Stephen de Knelle of Knelle manor in the Rape of Hastings between c. 1190 and 1200, and William de St. Martin, son of William in 1224 holding Sutton Warblinton which included Great Knulle with the family of Knelle, Knill or Knollle.

In 1229 appears a Ricardus de Knolle at Great Knulle. - Gilbert de Knill in 1287 was rector of Crondall. - In 1287 Walter le White and Osbert de la Knelle hold one virgate of land containing 29 ½ acres for payment of 2s 2d yearly on the Feast of St. Michael, and 9 1/2d. for pondpany, and one stoup of honey, and one churchsoot of white corn, and one hen and 5 eggs, and half a scythe to mow the lord’s meadows, and they shall find one man for four days weeding, and shall perform all services like Thomas Kach. The same Osbert holds 3 acres and one perch of encroachment in Westwood, and 1 ½ acres and one perch in Longmore, on payment therefore of 13d on the Feast of St. Michael. Osbert was still alive in 1296 (“The Crondal Rec. Hist. and Manorial” 1891). - Osbert also held one virgate of land in Löfvenberg (Pipe Rolls). - Study of Middle English local surnames: Matthias Teodor Löfvenberg. I believe that this place does not exist any more.

In 1296 William atte Cnelle holds 2 acres of land, in 1299 Ricardus de Knolle, and in 1315 Kenillis are recorded in Löfvenberg, 1327 atte Knulle of Knell by Crondale (GBS), and 1344 appears Ricardus atte Knolle there. 


19 Jan. 1219 Johannes de Cunel' gives a mark for having a writ to summon John de Winell' to the court of the itinerant justices, as this John had made a covenant with Walter de Conel´, father of Johan de Conel´, for half the mill and appurtenances in Winel´(Willesden, Middlesex). The name Winell´was later also spelled Willesden. - This family has first been documented in Normandy as de la Cunelle or Connell in 1063 (please see Conclusions in this web page).

1295 A Stephen de Knille was a clerk in London and creditor to a certain John Em of Dunstable, who owed him 100 s (TNA C 241/27/120). But he might be of the Knille families of Knill in Hereford or Cambridge. - 15 Nov. 1296 Richard de la Cnolle, a serjeant-at-law, was ordered to appear before the treasurer and barons of the Exchequer (CCR). The reason was that he had been collector of taxes in Middlesex (CPR). He died in 1331 (CFR).

1299 William le Knel of the hamlet of Norbury of Headstone, Middlesex (VCH). - A parcel of arable land at Pinner called Knells and Knells spring woodland, both in Headstone lane in Pinner, Harrow, sold in 1911 (ACC/1058/246). - In the Cal. of Letter Books of the City of London in 1306-7 appears a William atte Knolle, butcher.

In 1538 Robert Eliot, son and heir of Robert Eliot of Littleton and his wife Phillys, daughter of Thomas Cnolle, Henry Hobbes and Henry Cnolle regarding an enfeoffment to uses of all his lands, tenements etc. in Sheppertonm, Sunbury and Littleton which he inherited to Thomas and Phyllys (TNA ACC/0928/001/19).see also Conclusions in this web page) - 1571-3 Thomas Knell, the verse writer, was vicar of the Parish church of Hackney in Middlesex (Brit. Hist. online). He may be the same person, who was rector and vicar in Kent and lies buried in Appledore church (see above).

Stanes in Middlesex: John de Knolle of East Clandon had sold land in East Clandon, Surrey, to the Abbot and Convent of Chertsey between 1307-27 retaining land in Middlese. (See Surrey).


1100-35 Edward F.Hugh gave two parts of his tithes in Nelles in Suffolk to Thetford abbey (Blomfield). -1214 Philippus de Cnell (CRR). The same as of Tarring in West Sussex?

1448 Will of Peter Northeast of Thurston: Land belonging to Thurston: 3 roods of land in the field called Knellefeld, 3 a of land in Overknellefeld, next to Thurston church, 2 a of land there too, and 1/2 a of land in the furlong called Netherknellefeld etc.

ESSEX and Hertfordshire

1165-6 Gaufridus de Cnolla pays 8d (Pipe Roll). - 1204-5 William de Knully sues Christina de Knully, his tenant, for one carucate of land with appurtenances. Christina gave the land to her daughter Basilia, who is allowed to hold the premises of William for half a knight's service (Essx FF V. 1, p. 35). - 1244 Richard of Nelmes gives 1 mark for having a writ relating to the county of Essex against Nicholas Priest and others before the king's court (FF H 3). Nelmes in Kent was meant to be Knell. - 1200-1250 Theobald de la Cnolle and Michael his brother witness a deed by Emma de la Brod, widow, to Robert de Suberia, chaplain (DYDU 646/30), and a quitclaim by Annora, daughter of John Clivelond, to Ralph Marshal, son of Joan, of land in Great Fordham. - 1230-70 Tebald and Ralph de Cnolle witness another grant in Great Fordham, Tebald and Michael, his brother, witness a grant to Abel de St. Martin in Great Fordham (Abel, the bishop, died. 1276) - Theobald, the same as of Brenchesley in Kent?

1224 Henry de Conhulla had been desseised of his free tenement in Thorley which lies hard at the border between Essex and Hertford, but had recuperated it (Bracton's Notebook). -  1233-4 Ginges: Ditches and bounds made to Kenella and from Kanella by the road (Essx FF). - Messuages and tenements called 'Captens and Knellis' beside Yatinden (CIPM). - 18 Nov. 1374 Edmund Cheyney, kt., receives fro 100s a licence to enfeoff Thomas Knoell, John Blount and William Colle of Hertfordshire of the manor of Codred, held in chief, to regrant it to him in tail with remainder in fee to Ralph Cheyney his heir. (CPR and CIOM V. 3).) - On 22 November 1375 Deed by John de Aylesbuy, kt., gave to Walter Knolle and Richard Wanting, clerk, and their heirs a yearly rent of 20 lbs out of his manor of Tiscote, Hertfordshire, with power to distrrain (CCR p. 266). - 1431 Land of Robert Knoll, kt., abutting land of Thomas Gygges (Descrpt. Cat. of Anc. Deeds).


To the ville of Hurley belong 5 hamlets. One of those is called Knowl Hill, in the 14th C. Cnolle (VCH V. 3). - 1199 eight hides were held in Coleshill parish by Stephen son of Ynard de Elmsbridge, as half a fee of the honour of Richard's castle (1086 Osborn Fitz Richard Scrob DB). In those 8 hides were inclosed Ynardesclose and Knollesclose, the latter probably named after Geoffrey de la Cnolle mentioned by Hunter in 1199 (VCH Vol. 4). This may give a connection to the Knulle-Knill family of Hereford and Schropshire. - The court rolls of Ramsey show a William de la Cnelle in 1255. - Thomas Knoll of Hungerford was collector of subsicies in 1428 (CFR V. 15).


1199-1200 The bishop of Winchester sues by his attorney John de Briwes the countess of Warwick for the advowson of the church of Cnoel. Next year they were given a day to hear their judgment (CRR). - That year Robert de la Knolle and many others were summoned as jurors, to find out, whether the vill of Retehall belongs to the manor of Wexcombe (CRR). - In 1201 the abbot of Chipham in Stanley gave half a mark for a grand assize before the barons of the Exchequer to have Michael, son of Reginald de Cnoel to confirm that his brother gave to the monks all his land in Childecnoel with appurtenances to hold of him and his heirs freely for ever, for a payment of 2 marks yearly (CCR). - 8 Septembber 1228 Richard de la Cnoll was installed as canon (Fasti Anglicani V. 4). - In 1349 Robert de Cnoel, is mentioned in the crown pleas of Wilthire Eyre. - In 1265 appears a Richard de Knolle. - CIPM of Robert Walerand, writ dated 8 November 1278, inquisition 1280 by sworn persons. Adam de la Cnolle and his wife Emma, sister and heir of Magister  Adam de Tilbney, had to pay 40s yearly at Fisherton during the life of Robert Walerand, by grant of a charter. But the sheriff had distrained them after Walerand's death. Therefore they petiton judgement.  - Between 1280-90 Ralph de la Knolle signs a grant by John Esturmy to Roger de Ardern and Theobald his brother in Shalbourne (Wilts. FF).

October 1291 William Russel sues Ralph de la Knolle concerning a messuage with appurtenances and rent in Hynsete. William grants Ralph instead 30 acres of land in crofts in the town of Knolle, allowing him to feed his oxen and sheep in Hynsete during William's life. Further he gives him 4 marks yearly (Wilts. FF). - John de Knoel goes against Austin de Elington for a messuage with appurtenances and rent in Lutelcote and East Fifehide in 1297, which  Austin and his wife Agnes are to hold for life (Wilts. FF). - On 17 August 1317 Robert de Knoel of Salisbury received an exemption for 3 years for not to be put on offices like assizes etc. (CPR V. 3). - There was an inquisition on 15 January 1328,when sworn men had to decide whether Nicholas de Knoel is allowed to keep a messuage, a water mill and one virgate of land in Christelmelfa, held of the abbot of Glastonbury. He is to pay 40 s to this abbot. - On Oct. 1364 James and Edmund atte Knolle John Worth and many others had to do homage to John Estbury as tenants for the tenements they held of him (Wilts. FF). - In 1393 Thomas Knoyel had still possessions in Fisherton (Wilts. FF). - In 1390 an extent of the manor of Chisbury showes that Parnel Knolle holds certain lands and tenements in Knolle by charter of the lord to her and heir heirs for a payment of 4s yearly and the customs. In 1414 she held also a third part of the manor of Mannington of John Lovel lord Lovel, her overlord (Inq. Misc. & VCH V. 9). In 1416 John Lovell, kt. quitclaimed the reversion of Knowle (Knolle) to John Byrd, when Parnel was probably still alive. John received 100s rent in Henset, where the Knolle family had held possesseions before. This Knolle lay in Little Bedwyn, where they had held land in the 12th C.  In 1428 Knolle was held by the Seymor family (CIPM).- In 1418 Kynele manor in Wiltshire.


This comes from the cartulary of the Priory of St. Nicholas at Exeter: In 1181 Emma, widow of Nicholas de Khnolle, claims her dower in the lands at Knolle. Son and heir of Nicholas is John. Nicholas had given all his land to the priory and John conformed that. John gave his sister Joan in free marriage to Richard, servant of Upton with all the land he owned at Knolle, paying 5w yearly to the prior. - The same year Robert de la Cnolle and his son Nicholas witnessed a charter by Hugh de Peverel of Sampford for the soul of his wife Cecilia of a tenth of the tithe of Alre t.o the church of St. Mary of Columpton (Coll.Topogr. and Geneal. V. 1). - In 1184-5 Robert de la Cnolle pays 2 marks 9s 2p into the exchequer of the 5 marks he owes (CPR). In 1205 he is a pledge for 10 marks, Guy de Bretteville the same for 20 marks (CPR). - In 1212 the sheriff of Devon has mandate to collect the tithes of the moor of the earl of d'Isle, with the consent of Alex de St. Albano and Richard de la Cnolle, clerks of the earl (CCRlit). The earl was one of the Rivers of Vernon in Normandy, who had inherited the Isle of Wight and land in Devon which had been of William FitzOsborn, lord of the Isle of Wight and earl of Hereford after the Conquest of England. William de Vernon-Rivers had married his daughter Emma. Consequently, the Rivers became earls of Devon. - In the 13th C. Richard and Ralf de la Knolle are lords of Meavy and Knolle near Yelverston. - Thomas de la Knolle was admitted on 13 Septtember 1263 (Ecclastic Ant. of Devon p. 120). - In 1287 William le Cnoll was of Sampford Spiny north of Meavy.

There were other families with the surname Knoll or Kenelle in Devon. On 29 September 1237 Warin de Kenel' sued William Pippard by his attorney for land in Laverberg. This land had been of William FitzOsborn, who had enfeoffed one of the Pippard family. Warin de Kenelle may be a descendant of Gilbert de la Cunelle (see Conclusions in the web page). - On 17 July 1325 Master John de Brudepart, parson, acknowledges that he owes to John de Kenele, clerk, 40 lbs. - There were Knoll members. in Crediton. On 13 February 1312 John Knylle is witness to a feoffment there. On 24 February 1404 Thomas, Richard and Walter Knolle are mentioned in Crediton. - Others held land in Newton Abbots, Dartmouth, Morley and elsewhere.


1227 Henry le Kenele or Kanele, son and heir of William receives all the land which his father had in Guernsey Island. William St. John had order to to give Henry seisin at once (Rot. Litter. Claus.) - H. de Kenel' was a bailiff of Guernsey Island c. 1242-44 (TNA SC 1/3/166).

Sept.1576 Letter from Mr. Knell, chaplain of the earl of Essex, to Sir Henry Sidney (Sussex), fearing that the earl had been poisoned (Lives of the earl s of Essex).

On 7 June 1608 Lord Knellis was treasurer of the Household of James I. receiving the lease of the post-fines for 15 years (TNA E 214/700).